Saturday, October 17, 2009

Shane McMahon resigns from WWE

Shane McMahon announced that he will resign from WWE effective January 1, 2010.

Shane issued a statement that said, "It is with great sadness that I announce my resignation from the WWE, effective January 1, 2010."

"I have never even considered a future outside the walls of the WWE. However, sometimes life takes an unexpected turn and while it is the most difficult decision I have ever made, it is time for me to move on."

This comes as a complete shock to most in the wrestling world, and now people are beginning to come up with theories as to why.

On Bill Apter's 1wrestling.com, he has suggested that Shane may be considering starting up his own MMA promotion. It is well known that Shane has been an MMA fan, but I don't know about this one.

Fans on Apter's site have suggested that Shane is going to TNA wrestling, but I don't think anyone seriously believes that one.

No matter what Shane does, I see this as an admission of defeat for him in the battle for control of the future WWE.

Vince McMahon bought WWE from his father, who took control from Vince's grandfather. Shane was always the logical fourth generation figurehead of the company after Vince steps down. Until Triple H married Stephanie.

Triple H marrying Stephanie has put him in the middle of booking sessions, given him creative control and direction, and helped him to become champion practically forever (until John Cena came along and they needed to put the belt on a fresh face). Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those Triple H bashers, I think he is a good wrestler and deserved the title when he had it. He does work well with others as you can see by the way he has put Cena over in the past.

I know most people think that with Shane out of the picture, Stephanie is the next likely person to run the company, which is true. But would she run it in a Linda McMahon way, where she is the CEO and her husband, Triple H is the chairman of the board, pulling the strings and actually in control?

Only time will tell, but it is definitley odd when the supposed heir to the throne leaves his place in the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment